Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Devil Horns Found in Vietnam; Turns out they're Edible!

Vietnamese Word of the Day: AO (Ow!, like Ouch!)

I thought I'd seen it all: fiery rambutans, stinky durian, water coconuts the size of VW's, Bush elected a second time; but no. Today, I found AO (with a rising tone, just like you just stepped on one of these nasty buggers). 

Apparently, they're only found in lake beds. Too bad, cause they're delicious- if you like chestnuts. And I can't say I do. 

Let's get funky with it: these little horns are sharp, and they're hard as hell to open (no pun intended- well OK, just a little), and not really worth the effort- again- unless you like chestnuts. And what's the draw there? 

Seriously... What Is SO Good about Chestnuts? Granted, it's been a while, but if memory serves correctly, they taste like banana leaves.

Back to the Devil's Horns. If I were a betting man, I'd say this is where the Chinese Star idea came from. I threw one against the wall, and it stuck. And the wall was concrete.

The last picture may look like a finger, but it's the flesh beneath the Devil's Horns. The product you see here required several people and a very dangerous knife. Nut crackers would probably be more suitable, but we're in Vietnam- where anything goes.

The next post will have a picture of Sam wearing these horns. Stay tuned...


No comments: